I think you are spot on in a few areas here.  What ever happened tot
he good ole days of gathering together, telling people your
experiences and just having a good time instead of being in a strict
environment.  Aggressive Marketers have taken away from this "thing of
the past".  Remember the "Copy Parties" or the "Install Fests" (I know
NLUG still has Install Fests).  When getting together didn't mean
money or how much things cost and sharing ideas and thoughts and
putting them on the table for others to digest.  Linux has grown in
popularity, even my 65 year old mother has heard of it.  I think if we
stop being strict about it and start being loose and re-grasping those
olden days where we would all get together and share ideas, that would
appeal to newcomers more so than a aggressive marketing campaign.
Word of mouth is very contagious.