Funny you should mention NLUG U. I thought about that but, I don't see it
bringing in new members barely aware of Linux. Many of them are unaware of
LUGs. I DO think it would be an excellent way to attract some *nix folks
already aware of the NLUG.

For newbies maybe a concise introduction with explanations of the pitfalls.
A link to the manuals of various flavors would be handy. Of course, there
will be the question, "Which one is right for me?" Hmmm. Strengths and
weaknesses of each flavor.
Surely someone has experience in a variety of different distros and the
willingness to write it down.

Awkward?