On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:47:01 -0500, Greg Donald <gdon...@gmail.com> wrote:

It might be easy if you're a Linux enthusiast, sys admin, or the like.
 Personally I'm sick of dealing with stuff like you describe.  I've
been hearing Linux is going to become mainstream and easy for
something like 13 years now.  I've given up all hope.  I'm using Win7
on my desktop at home and Mac OS X on my laptop.  They work great, and
I can deduct the cost from my taxes.  I am still using Linux at work
and on some headless file servers I have out in the garage, but I'm
done fighting Linux on my desktop.

I have been using Linux for about 7 years now and it has gotten much easier
over time then it used to be. Not to mention I'm not behind the learning curve. Even if
you run windows you have to sys admin your box. The geek squad will surely
help empty you wallet quickly if you don't want to do it.

I personally could type those commands with ease, I just don't want to
anymore.  I'm sick of fixing Linux when it breaks.  At what point do I
get to quit having to be a Linux sys admin just to be a happy Linux
user?

I run ArchLinux and very, very very, very infrequently do I have to fix something that breaks. Usually if something breaks it's PEBCAK. They don't really mess with
the source from upstream unless there is
some bug and they make sure it is both modular to keep with KISS and able to incorporate meta packages. Okay you don't want to type those commands. Are you going to pay
the "geek squad" $300 to get your machine running. One of the MAJOR reasons
windows added the POWER shell is because so many technicians where bitching about not being able to fine tune a windows install with the GUI. They finally listened. Same holds true in Linux, and I've been around computers since the 80s. The other thing I've found is that Linux is on more hardware everyday. People don't do their research on compatability with what they are running and get all frustrated at those stupid Linux devs. How dare them. Linux owes no one a thing, as does any person on this board. We do this out of believing in
Freedom from IP/DRM, a sense of community.

I am a perfectly happy Linux user. In fact it is much easier to install Linux on a desktop than it is a laptop. Now I know people are going to get their shorts in a wad with what I'll say next. I personally believe Canonical has done the greatest damage to Linux by trying to promote itself as the beginners mojo with a flowery bed of roses. Canonical is NOT a beginners distro, not even close. Ya they "attracted" quite a few Debian devs
and started paying them. They hack around on what they freeze and release.
The only thing is SID and experimental are NOT complete distros in and of themselves they are pre-Alpha and Alpha software. Debian itself doesn't support you if you use those two repos. They tell you if you break it. You get to keep both halves. So why would I promote such applications as that to a newbee. I wouldn't. Persaonlly if I have the time and if I am in the local area and depending how I feel I could put Arch on or Sabayon which is a VERY complete distro. I didn't have any hiccups for the few months I used it on my eee's. They actually discourage "compiling" and the use of the command line. Thing is everything works. I had one laptop with a Broadcom card that fired up right out of the box.
The same thing happened with PuppyLinux 4.3.1.

Another thing I find lacking is people haven't defined in their own minds what they really want to accomplish with their boxen. I'd say 90% want just an appliance, which all OS's are moving to hence the ARM architecture. I think with Google putting out their OS, HTML5 -- which Apple is in the lead with for production/research, old M$ is going to have to follow the crowd. With a cloud you never have to install an OS, a program or save your data locally. It's all out there in never never land. I won't go any further
there.

I remeber one guy who came to an installfest out west. He travelled extensively in South America, loved having Linux on his box. He wanted to upgrade. The distros we had availabe we went through every one of them and had major issues that just can't be solved in a few hours time and leave the facilited a promised. His "sweet" spot was a version that at the time was 2 years old. But everything on his box ran with no issues, It zipped along. My suggestion to him was if it's not broke don't fix it. You don't have to upgrade to every new this and that. I know ppl that install millions of dollares of hardware and software for a myriad of companies all around the world. Basically unless there is a serious threat or have to have some new feature DON'T update/grade your OS and apps. They get more people that have once again tested the compatibility of their new toy with the toys they have in their box already.

gk

--
Remember, it's not that we have something to hide; it's that we have nothing to show.

--Keep tunneling.