On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:55:04 -0500, Chris McQuistion
<cmcquist...@watkins.edu> wrote:

The progression you mention is spot on:  LiveCD, load linux on a spare
beater computer (dual boot is a pretty advanced topic; just look at the
fight I had last night before my presentation about GRUB2), boot from USB

http://grub.enbug.org/Grub2LiveCdInstallGuide

Honestly Grub2 is not that difficult. I had a stuck installation that all
the files weren't generated properly and it really is an easy, easy fix.
It took me 30secs with this.

Commands list

This is a list of the commands executed in order,

     1.

        sudo fdisk -l
     2.

        sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
     3.

        sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
     4.

        sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
     5.

        sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
     6.

        sudo chroot /mnt
     7.

        (optional, only if you're on Ubuntu/Debian) apt-get install grub-pc
     8.

        grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
     9.

        grub-install /dev/sda (try grub-install --recheck /dev/sda if it
fails)
    10.

        Ctrl+D (to exit out of chroot)
    11.

        sudo umount /mnt/dev
    12.

        sudo umount /mnt

gk
--
Remember, it's not that we have something to hide; it's that we have
nothing to show.

--Keep tunneling.