On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Andrew Farnsworth <farn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>   I am trying to read / copy the apache access.log file which is about a Gig
> in size and it keeps telling me a process (apache) has locked the file and
> my read / copy fails.  Unfortunately this is under windows (no options) so I
> am looking for something to let me copy this file reliably without having
> the error occur.  I considered just writing a perl script to read blocks of
> the file (open, seek, read, close, write, repeat) and just retry if I get an
> error on open or read but thought I would ask if anyone has or knows of a
> free tool to do this already.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

This might cause problems by killing the service or crashing it when
it finds it's no longer connected to the log, but I've used it to
move/delete files that are "open or in use" in Windows.

I'm guessing you can't boot the server into safe mode or kill apache,
so this might work.

--
Don Delp
618.616.2993