On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Don Delp <nesma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html
>
> This might cause problems by killing the service or crashing it when
> it finds it's no longer connected to the log, but I've used it to
> move/delete files that are "open or in use" in Windows.
>
> I'm guessing you can't boot the server into safe mode or kill apache,
> so this might work.
>
> Don,
  Correct, I cannot stop apache at all for any reason(*) during production
hours.

I doubt unlocker would work as apache seems to grab control of the file,
write to it, then release over and over.  This means that even if I use
unlocker, it will probably grab the file again a second or so later.  If the
file is small enough I can just copy it even if it takes a few tries it will
complete within the window.  However, the log file is > 1GB so that is not
possible here.

I have found hobocopy and shadowcopy but I cannot add them to the server, I
have to do the copy across the network.

Andy

* - Ok, global thermonuclear war would probably be an excuse, but who would
be left to care...