Beg pardon, but I thought that the rule of Ethernet only using 2 pairs
(4 wires) was no longer true.  Specifically, anything that does
Gigabit Ethernet uses all 4 pairs (8 wires), and PoE is still
compatible because the signal is transmitted via a differential (which
is also why it no longer matters if wire polarity is swapped).

Is this incorrect?

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Gibson Prichard <gib...@prichard.tv> wrote:
> Basically, if you have RJ45-terminated wires going inside the house,
> ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 wires in the cable. Use the other 4 to send
> power out from inside to a router or switch which happens to be on the
> outside of your house.
> If the outside box is too small to hold a router or switch, you may need to
> replace it with a larger enclosure. Assuming you have the right to place a
> new box outside where these lines terminate that would be large enough to
> hold a switch or router, you could do that. Amazon (and others) have lots of
> weatherproof enclosures from which to choose. You could use one of the
> ethernet lines to provide power, either as a traditional barrel-plug or as a
> POE connection. A simple barrel-plug-to RJ45 adapter, like this
> https://www.amazon.com/BeElion-Passive-Injector-Splitter-Connector/dp/B01HMNJHII
> or
> https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Injector-Splitter-5-52-1mm-Ethernet/dp/B01MS9K6EX
> would provide you with the means to send power outside from an outlet over
> one of the ethernet cables (whether or not that particular wire was being
> used to carry data).
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Gibson Prichard
> Nashville, TN
> gib...@prichard.tv
>
> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Jack Coats <j...@coats.org> wrote:
>>
>> Looking for some input here...
>>
>> My house is pre-wired for ethernet.  All the connections are
>> terminated in a box on the outside of my house.  My ISP provides an
>> ethernet connection to that box, but there is little room and no
>> power.
>> What is a reasonable way to get my other ethernet connections 'lit' ?
>> There is no place where two of the ethernet connections terminate near
>> each other inside the house (so I could put my router there).
>>
>> I am open to suggestions or 'best practices'.
>>
>> --
>> ><> ... Jack
>>
>> --
>> --