My ISP does offer Gig, but not in my monetary bandwidth <grin>
I went out to get some pix, and opened one of the boxes, and had a
wasp nest.  Need to get rid of that and I will get a few pix.

I am guessing my 'best solution' is to do a 'inside the garage' box
for router and connections.  I really like the WIFI router where it is
(kind of the
center of the house), so it might wind up being an 'endpoint' for a
'border router'.

I understand Tilghman's comments about max power via small wires, that
is a main reason for a in-house 'wiring cabinet' where I would put a
small UPS as well.  Plus, having wired access in the garage could be
nice for some 'who knows' projects in the future.

Thanks everyone, for their help and interest!

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 7:54 PM, Gibson Prichard <gib...@prichard.tv> wrote:
>  You are correct gigabit ethernet uses all four pairs but nothing in his
> post said anything about gigabit coming from his Internet service provider.
> If you simply take one of the cat5 cables and use it to provide power to a
> router mounted externally that will solve his problem.
>
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:24 Tilghman Lesher <tilgh...@meg.abyt.es> wrote:
>>
>> Beg pardon, but I thought that the rule of Ethernet only using 2 pairs
>> (4 wires) was no longer true.  Specifically, anything that does
>> Gigabit Ethernet uses all 4 pairs (8 wires), and PoE is still
>> compatible because the signal is transmitted via a differential (which
>> is also why it no longer matters if wire polarity is swapped).
>>
>> Is this incorrect?
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Gibson Prichard <gib...@prichard.tv>
>> wrote:
>> > Basically, if you have RJ45-terminated wires going inside the house,
>> > ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 wires in the cable. Use the other 4 to
>> > send
>> > power out from inside to a router or switch which happens to be on the
>> > outside of your house.
>> > If the outside box is too small to hold a router or switch, you may need
>> > replace it with a larger enclosure. Assuming you have the right to place
>> > new box outside where these lines terminate that would be large enough
>> > hold a switch or router, you could do that. Amazon (and others) have
>> > lots of
>> > weatherproof enclosures from which to choose. You could use one of the
>> > ethernet lines to provide power, either as a traditional barrel-plug or
>> > as a
>> > POE connection. A simple barrel-plug-to RJ45 adapter, like this
>> >
>> > https://www.amazon.com/BeElion-Passive-Injector-Splitter-Connector/dp/B01HMNJHII
>> > or
>> >
>> > https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Injector-Splitter-5-52-1mm-Ethernet/dp/B01MS9K6EX
>> > would provide you with the means to send power outside from an outlet
>> > over
>> > one of the ethernet cables (whether or not that particular wire was
>> > being
>> > used to carry data).
>> >
>> > Does this make sense?
>> >
>> > Gibson Prichard
>> > Nashville, TN
>> > gib...@prichard.tv

>> > --
>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > Groups
>> > "NLUG" group.
>> > an
>> > email to nlug-talk+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>

>> --
>> Tilghman
>>
>> --
>> --
>>
>> ---
>> "NLUG" group.
>> email to nlug-talk+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

> Gibson Prichard
> Nashville, TN
> gib...@prichard.tv

> [...]

The Four Boxes of Liberty - "There are four boxes to be used in the
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that
order."
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." -
Admiral Grace Hopper, USN
"The most dangerous phrase in the language is "We’ve always done it
this way"-- Admiral Grace Hopper, USN
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." - Ben Franklin