If you use a pair of 24 ga. wires connected together, you have the
equivalent of 21 ga.  Depending on which table you refer to, that's good
for up to 7 amps for 'chassis wiring' - certainly it's good for at least an
amp in a Cat 5 cable.  Two pairs for data, two pairs for power.

I've used Cat 5e for speaker wire.  One cable, two speakers for stereo,
about a 35' run.  I calculated that at 8 ohms speaker impedance the loss in
the cable was under half a dB - negligible.

Unrelated, but I've lately used PoE 'splitters' to power Raspberry Pi
projects.  The splitter I'm using will deliver 5 volts at 2 amps, more than
enough for the Pi and accessories.  I found a bargain on an HP Procurve
2910 series gigabit switch.  Interestingly, it outputs 55 volts for PoE or
PoE+, well within the voltage spec.  Higher voltage = less IR loss in the
cable.