I'm not against a flag to turn it off, but I'm not sure it's really
necessary. The patch allows you to create the Date yourself (i.e., it won't
replace or dup it), so the user does have control.

The only use case that isn't met is the ability to send a response without
a Date. I don't really buy the argument that it's useful for testing,
because if that were a driving use case for Node, it'd be a LOT different
(e.g., allowing invalid chunked encoding to be emitted, etc.

Anyway. Like I said, I'm not against a flag, just not sure it's really
necessary.

As far as a HTTP nanny, we already have one -- http://redbot.org/

Cheers,