Well there's a separate plan being discussed right now to upgrade the API
to ServerResponse anyway. writeHead is going to be deprecated, so that's
not the best place to put it. But I do agree we should minimize unnecessary
properties on res. It would be nice to have a pseudo standard way of
specifying options across node. I haven't put any thought into it yet. But
one thing I like is just using an options hash. It's not just for functions
you know :)

res.options.shouldSendDate = true.

This way we can add whatever we want and the chance of collision is
minimized. Of course options is a fairly common name. That's why it might
be a good idea to come up with some kind of convention. People know enough
not to name a function "on" or close" these days.

:Marco