> Was just saying it is, a tad.  Maybe "pointless" was a bad word choice.
> Overblown is probably better.  Don't think you can deny that without those
> other things, the source code of any non trivial program is quite a worthless
> commodity in and of itself.  The entire node ecosystem, at the moment, is at
> the point where the programs are still fairly trivial, and so the value of
> source code is still relatively high.  That state of affairs won't last
> forever.

Node itself is a large, non-trivial open source project, now well funded
because people think they will be able to make money from it in various ways.
How far would Ryan have gotten if he decided to make node closed-source PaaS?
There are different business strategies based on what kind of buy-in and
adoption you think you need, and where the actual money is to be made.  You're
kind of insulting the people who's technology you are using.  I bet whatever db
you are using is open source, also backed by a profitable company.  And please
don't say "it's different" because node is a tool or a platform etc, what you
are describing could also be viewed the same way.  It's closer to Solr than it
is to Twitter.

> Anyway, I guess the larger point is that I feel my program has the potential
> to be quite profitable in the future.  I still am fairly young and quite
> hungry.  I would much rather be very close with a few business associates
> than just another anonymous user on github who everyone takes for granted.  I
> have ambitions, and I won't apologize for that.

Then why are you asking this list for help and feedback?  Your actions are
showing that you value community involvement on some level.  You mentioned
you've been working on this by yourself and it's never gone anywhere, maybe you
could start generating steam and interest if you let other people get involved
on their own terms.  Pursue whatever strategy you like, if you can make
closed-source PaaS work I still wish you success, but you should seriously
re-evaluate your attitude.