On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Dennis Kane <dkan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK guys, firefighter Kane to the rescue.

Some firefighter -- you're the one w/ the lighter, now you pour on fuel and
claim you're here to help?

> I said "tad".  For full disclosure, I've been using Debian for many years,
> and I feel it is by far the best OS in existence.  I am writing this in
> nano, the source code of which I have done some hacking on.
>
> I'm here because I can't do this thing by myself.  If someone wants to
> help me, then the code will be "open source" for them.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

> If things can begin to get off the ground, then we can start to think
> about releasing some code with a liberal license.
>
> I don't know what else to say other than I'm excited as hell to try to
> make some major noise in the free markets.  If I come in here being all
> gung ho about open sourcing all of this, then that will be much less likely.

Now I *know* that word -- "free markets" -- doesn't mean what you think it
means. There's nothing contradictory about open source and free markets.
Quite the opposite, as both logic and recent history demonstrate, and as
has already been pointed out to you.

> The test of this thing is that it "just works".  If anyone wants to help
> me get it to "just work" even better, I would be stupid to not bring them
> along on this crazy ride.
>
> As far as my attitude is concerned, I admit to being an a-hole. Always
> have been, probably always will.  I'm a little too old for reevaluation to
> do any good.  Hopefully my talents will make up for my personality
> shortcomings in a few people's eyes.

You don't come off as an asshole -- and besides, we have no problem with
assholes: we're developers. Saying the things you're saying, to the
audience you're saying them to -- well, it's that you come off as an idiot.
The good news is this is a lot easier to fix.

> I would really like to get off the religious warfare and get back to the
> thing itself... ie, what kinds of statements would YOU like the program be
> able to handle?

Oh, you're looking for help? Here's a suggestion: you could open up the
code and see what people do. Far be it from us to tell you what to do with
your code, but you're the one asking for help, and this is naturally the
first bit of feedback you're going to get. Why would any of us invest much
more of our precious time helping you improve your proprietary product? The
world doesn't work that way -- at least, not anymore.

So yes, back to the thing itself: node.js (this is the node.js list, after
all). You've expressed clearly that you have no interest in making your
work part of node's ecosystem. So at this point you're just noise, no
different than a recruiter. You just said as much yourself: "I'm here
because I can't do this thing by myself." At least recruiters, even the
worst of them, have a payed position to offer and the good sense not to
directly insult the target audience :P

Good luck to you and your product, but kindly take your noise elsewhere.