On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rog...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Couldn't disagree with you more.
>
> Open environments thrive on small discreet and federated components and
> not on central authority. It's closed systems that require more frameworks
> and widgets and big SDKs in order to survive and compete against other
> closed systems.
>
> The internet is open, but there are open standards which allow things to
work together and help improve overal quality. Competition is excellent
when you approach to a problem with a different solution or with higher
quality, but if you are doing the exact thing as someone else why not just
join the effort?

I dont endorse closed systems at all, i hate them, I'm not talking about
imposing design restriction but quality restrictions, for example
requiring certain level of documentation or testing before making a library
available via npm, the authors could still host the library at places like
github, and npm could publish a description of the project where the author
could explain why that project is different and you could try it or
contribute.