Cool!  When I scrolled down to the section called "The Central Role of
Language", I realized that the "anti-mac" concept was something I could
work with.  I am a believer in the concept of leveraging Javascript in
order to devise a kind of higher level computing language that can deal
very well in human concepts.  Think of it as a kind of highly structured
natural language, and we can start really getting on our way.  The problem
is that programmers and logically-minded people in general need to start
getting creative with how they think about computers.

When I scroll through this list on any given day, I am often quite
disheartened by the utter lack of trying to think of Javascript at a higher
level.  There is often so much discussion concerning issues that are well
on their way to becoming irrelevant anymore.  Whether to fork off node or
whether to make it threaded, for example.  But node is really good enough
for anything that can be reasonably thrown at it.  I remember hearing Ryan
talking about the fact that node can always be made to be faster, but that
the real increase in speed occurred between the leap from the pre-node
world to the post-node world.

I think it's high time for many programmers to just take a little breather
to think about where we can go next.  I recommend really meditating on some
of those Crockford youtube videos, and start thinking about what it really
means that we have a blazing fast DOM-aware prototypal scripting language
that uses first order functions.  It's all pretty mind blowing when you
really think about it.

Developers are just so damn scared to actually *use* the language rather
than just using some dumb library that forces you to think in a certain way
about in-browser programming.

My API is currently a little messy, but from the beginning, I wanted to
focus on keeping it exceedingly simple and intuitive.  There are function
calls like make_desktop(), make_window(), and make_icon().  Kids will be
able to type these into their browser consoles and see magic happen in
front of their eyes.  I'm talking about giving kids of the same kind of
experience that us 30 or 40-somethings had when we tapped those BASIC
programs from BYTE magazine into black screens with glowing green
characters.

In today's world, there is such a schism between the experiences of end
users and developers.  When I was in 5th grade, we had a programming class
taught by our Math teacher.  These kinds of things are extremely important
to teach kids when their minds are eager to learn.

So basically, the way that we think about what our computers are all about
needs to start evolving, and it is really up to programmers to start
programming in ways that are new/exciting/experimental (just like when we
were kids!) rather than so mind numbingly dull.