> This is also to say that from this may come something interesting

That would be great and I certainly don't want to dampen any enthusiasm.
 I'm just giving my opinion as a potential user.

To journey to a great new place, it would seem to be easier to start from
somewhere modern instead of something old and moldy.  I have been using
computers since the mid '60s and witnessed many metaphors come and go.  I
for one would be happy to get rid of the desktop.  Most users nowadays grew
up with the web, so it is a metaphor that they are at least as familiar
with as the desktop.

Maybe a glimpse into the future of the desktop could prove me wrong.  Where
can it go from here?