The point I think he is making is that some derivative of a
familiar metaphor will help people grab on to the functionality or feel
more at home. This ia also to say that from this may come something
interesting after iteration(x) that is created.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Mark Hahn <m...@hahnca.com> wrote:

> I know that this is a popular thing to do, but I don't understand it.  Why
> would you want to put a metaphor that dates from 30 years ago on a modern
> brower?  I find the hyperlinked documents on the web with responsive web
> pages to be a better experience.
>
> Google is working hard to replace the old Microsoft functionality with
> gmail and google docs, yet you don't find Google using a desktop metaphor
> with folders and trash cans.  Apps don't spring up from icons into desktop
> windows, they appear as web pages from web links.
>
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Rick Waldron <waldron.r...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Sep 30, 2012 10:35 AM, "Dennis Kane" <dkan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > My most recent work can be seen here:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NTjmy7PbD0
>> >
>> > I have added functionality to the bottom dock, including a working
>> Trashcan.
>> >
>> > I have still received precisely zero real interest in any of this & I
>> am really eager to get together with programmers who want to get something
>> beautiful started!
>>
>> I think I speak for most when I say: you've given us nothing to be
>> interested in, aside from a few YouTube videos and some hints about an API
>> that, to be honest, looks nothing like a well designed JavaScript API.
>>
>> Share some code ;)
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> > My theory is basically that the nature of the front-end experience
>> crucially determines how much "excitement" the back-end administrators will
>> have.  At the moment, the web is filled with absolutely boring/unresponsive
>> front-ends.  So anyone who wants to work with me will really have a leg up
>> in terms of offering the kind of user experience that will keep the
>> back-enders on their toes ("on their toes" == "gamefully employed" ;)
>> >
>> > By the way, I am well aware that any business that comes out of this
>> will not want to offer an exact replica of OS X as their front end.  I am
>> using OS X as the ultimate challenge to see how awesome I can make the end
>> user experience.  Once I can get this prototype working as well as
>> possible, then I can start to think about how to make it even better than
>> OS X!
>> >
>> > I am all ears in terms of what kinds of services can be offered up
>> through this kind of interface...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en

Gerald Klein DBA****

contac...@geraldklein.com

www.geraldklein.com <http://geraldklein.com/>****

geraldklein.wordpress.com

j...@zognet.com****

708-599-0352****

Arch Awesome, Ranger & Vim the coding triple threat.

Linux registered user #548580