I'm sorry to bump this, but it doesn't seem like this actually solves the
problem, it just allows files to accumulate longer. In general, my app
would have between 100 and 400 users connected to it. However, over time,
the number of open files increases at almost a linear rate. After running
for 24 hours, I have over 3,000 open files. There is no where near that
number of users connected. If I block the port, so no data can go through,
the number of open files will drop by roughly the number of users connected
and then flatline, so in this case, stay at about 2,800 open files. When
stopping the server, all the files get released, so I can confirm it is the
socket.io server using the open files.

Actually, I've tested this with other socket servers as well and found they
do the same thing. Using tcptrack also shows connections sitting idle for
hours on end. I was able to solve the problem somewhat with another socket
server library by using my own heartbeat and force closing (the other
server never fired the close/disconnect event for these connections whereas
socket.io seems to) the socket.