On original topic:

I truly believe that a good and clean software design paired with a small
switch in the mindset, is more than enough to handle most of complexity in
 a node program. That's why a almost always advise to go pure js way, it
forces you to actually learn how to do good software design and to think in
evented/callbackdriven way. this is also valid in topics about code
reusage, coffeescript etc. But i'm realist enough to not asume that
everyone is enthusiastic to reach this standards. many of us, me sometimes
including, just want to get the job done. or just have troubles to think
different. nothing's wrong with that, there are tools to support this
approach. this is where async, streamline, coffeescript etc. are valuable.

The problem with tools is always, that they add another level of complexity
to grog. promises even worse, because they need another switch in the
mindset, to follow a different paradigm.

It's a good advice, to write you own control-flow lib. but not everyone has
the time or ambitions to do it. and you don't have to. you just cant try to
solve your current flow problem without libs and magic, just pure js,
first. when it's done, then you could decide on the value of such libs for
you.

my advice on such questions will be allways: think about your code, your
architecture first, think, how the decisions you made about it influence
your problem. improve that first, it not only solves your flow problem, but
probable improves other criteria for code quality, as testability,
maintainability, coupling and reusability etc. If the design is good enough
and the flow control is still a problem, then don't be shy on tooling. just
know, that every tool you chose will have impact on your productivity in
short and long range.

I think a common and clean way to find and make decisions on a module,
which refelects popularity is still a problem in node comunity, that is
solved not good enough. npm search must provide more infos. download rates
are good but only a beginning, dependency statistics and contributions
frequency may be a good next step. then, it's easier for a node novice to
decide on opinions posted here. at least regarding concrete modules.

greet