I am subscribed to this discussion group in order to be connected with the
community of other nodejs developers and to learn about important new
developments affecting the nodejs community. I think having core nodejs
contributors leave and start their own fork would qualify.

On the Node Forward web site [1] it says "Node Forward is a broad community
effort to improve Node, JavaScript, and their ecosystem through open
collaboration"

In an Info World interview about the iojs fork [2] Mikeal Rogers says "We've
been working with Joyent since July to try and move the project to a structure
where the contributors and community can step in and effectively solve the
problems facing Node"

How can there be "a broad community effort", how can there be "open
collaboration", how can the "community step in and effectively solve the
problems" if the existence of these efforts is not announced to the
community--this community right here on this discussion group? I feel very out
of the loop reading a thread titled "node.js and io.js reconciliation" when
previously I was not aware of the existence of io.js nor the issues that
prompted its creation.

[1] http://nodeforward.org
[2]
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2855057/application-development/why-iojs-decided-to-fork-nodejs.html