Hi!

Syed Faraz Hasan wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Reference to my previous email about UMTS implementation on NS-2. Can
> some one tell me if I need a separate patch for UMTS while working on
> NS-2.33? If so, where can I download it from? I have seen
> http://eurane.ti-wmc.nl/eurane/, patch available there is in diff.gz
> format. I am a newbie to open suse linux, I think I should be after
> something .tar.gz?

There is currently no patch for ns-2.33 and since Eurane is not supported
anymore, there probably never will be. You have two options.
1) Download ns-2.30 and patch with existing eurane patch. If you need something
introduced in later versions of ns-2, you cannot use it.
2) Patch an existing ns-2.33 with the eurane patch for ns-2.30. This could
result in difficulties which you must manually resolve.

The patching procedure is documented in the manual, section 2.3.

A patch is distributed in something called a diff-file, hence the file
extension .diff. Gzip then adds the extension .gz. Before pathing the .diff.gz
file needs to be uncompressed using gunzip. The result will be the diff-file.

> Anyway, when I download and open eurane1.12.diff.gz, it gives an
> error "associated help application does not exist"! This patch is
> available for NS-2.30, I am using 2.33.

What gives an error? A patch file should not be "opened", see the eurane manual
for correct usage, or the patch man page, or google for "unix command patch" or
similar.

> Also, what is CLEAN NS-2.3

A clean version is a version not messed up by changes, builds etc. A fresh
downloaded version is a clean version.

> I downloaded test_tcp.tcl (UMTS implementation on NS-2 test run),
> without installing any patch on my existing NS-2.33. When I execute
> it, it says
>
> (_o3 cmd line 1)
> invoked from within
> "_o3 cmd create-Umtsnode"
> .
> .
> .
> "$ns create-Umtsnode"
> invoked from within
> "set rnc [$ns create-Umtsnode]"
> file "umtstcp.tcl line 42

This is because ns-2 (without the patch) does not understand the instructions
in those tcl files. You need the patch to be able to run the tcl files.

Regards,
--
Mats Folke, M.Sc., Lic.Eng.
Research Engineer

Ericsson AB                     Office: +46 10 7171385
Ericsson Research               Fax: +46 920 99621
P.O. Box 920                    Mobile: +46 76 1271385
SE-971 28 LuleƄ
Sweden