A lot of sense in there Barry.

It's easy to forget, if one is struggling with the intricacies of
technique, that a relatively uninformed listener will not actually
give a hoot about closed or open fingering, but *will* respond to
musicality on a macro-level. I have seen in more than one context that
an obsession with the 'right' way of doing things on a micro-level can
go hand in hand with a startling ignorance of general musicianship, as
well as an unpleasant tendency to rubbish those of different
persuasions in an attempt to mask a deeply felt insecurity. We all
need each other to help each other see the parts of the picture that
we don't see because of our individual limitations. Evangelists of all
kinds can often be 'right', but usually only about the tiny bit of the
picture that they know. There's a bigger picture that we can only see
between us, which is why we appear to be more than one person, though
actually we're not.