Christopher Creutzig wrote:

Won't help, since the \par in there is never evaluated.  I need to stop
it being generated in the first place.  I guess I probably should change
\catcode`\^^M and \catcode`\^^J before reading the contents.
\obeylines \let\obeyedlines\space

That would solve the second problem, assuming I insert a counter (which
for the first problem would be needed anyway).  But is there a way to
tell texexec to run this and that between the TeX runs?
the *first mode is set automatically

direct runs:

\startmode[*first]%
\executesystemcommand{...}