Am 19.02.2009 um 14:36 schrieb Yue Wang:

On the other hand, as Yanrui's sample seems to be much better than mine,
I made an illustration of Japanese typesetting rule on his sample:
http://people.ktug.or.kr/~nomos/mine/japanesetypesetting.png .
I guess that Chinese typesetting practice is not much different from this one.

Maybe it is different (I have no idea about Japanese typesetting, I
can only speak Chinese, English, and Korean).
- There are no "halfwidth punctuation" in most Chinese fonts. All the
glyphs in those fonts are of same width. Only a small portion of
Chinese fonts (like Adobe's OpenType fonts) contain these glyphs in
certain features.
- halfwidth glyph+0.5em minus0.5em ( = 1em) is not right, the
punctuation should be compressed. some combinations like :" should
also be compressed.

What method do you want to use.

1. Make a punctuation half width and insert space between them, e.g.
組版\hbox to .5em{」\hss}\hbox to .5em{。\hss} \hskip .5em\hbox to .5em{\hss「}原則

2. Let the punctuation full width and kern char combinations, e.g.
   組版」\kern.5em。\kern.5em「原則

Wolfgang