[reshufling the order a bit]

First of all - I forgot to express my positive surprise - all the
horizontal breaks including hyphenation are *exactly the same* in MKII
and MKIV all over the document, even though MKII and MKIV are using
different fonts. Which is really nice.

\startyoumayignorethis
The only thing that really bothers me are so much different vertical
differences which show up in almost every document I ever write. MKIV
consistently takes more vertical space, so no matter what document I
try to recompile, it always ends up with more pages (and some weird
page breaks) when processing it with MKIV.

Yes, I know. The two are incompatible. Yes, I know. Different fonts
are being used. Yes, I know. Different algorithms/aproaches to break
pages. But it would be soooooo nice if the most basic documents with
LM fonts could turn out at least approximately the same. Horizontal
breaking works perfectly (it's identical). It's only vertical spacing
that's a tiny bit "problematic" and makes every recompiled document a
bit messy.

It might be nice to look a bit closer to the topic, like in the
example that I pointed out. There are some weirdnesses left, like the
equations that starts at least a line lower in MKIV when there's no
real reason for such a behaviour.
\stopyoumayignorethis

>> \definedescription
>>   [latexdesc]
>> [headstyle={\ss\bf},style=normal,align=left,location=hanging,width=fit,margin=0cm]
>
> just omit the align=left (was not handled in mkii)

Honestly, I have no idea why I had it there, but I guess that I was
copy-pasting from wiki. So I didn't even notice that that option had
no effect at all.

> also, commands starting with \latex behave unpredictable in mkiv due to
> luigis compatibility mode

That was the best comment in the thread. Thanks for making me a day :)

>> \usetypescript[iwona]
>> \setupbodyfont[iwona]
>> \starttext
>> $a+b$
>> \stoptext
>
> hmm runs ok here ... but as i removed some old iwona stuff from type-otf

Thanks. In the new beta warnings are gone indeed. (I'll check the
changes later.)

>> 2.) Recently discussed on the mailing list - stopper has no influence in
>> MKIV:
>>
>> \setupcaptions[stopper={:}]
>> \starttext
>> \placefigure{title}{\framed{bla}}
>> \stoptext
>
> subtle difference:
>
> \setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
> \starttext
> \placefigure{title}{\framed{bla}}
> \stoptext
>
> all stopper, separator etc things are now more explicit as we have more
> control

Thanks a lot. (Just wandering - should stopper be a synonym for
numberstopper in MKIV then or is stopper also used somewhere else?)

>> 4.)
>> A slightly more basic example:
>>
>> \enableregime[utf-8]
>> \starttext
>> \startbuffer[gnu]
>> \startMPcode
>> draw \sometxt{čšž};
>> \stopMPcode
>> \stopbuffer
>> čšž
>> \getbuffer[gnu]
>> \stoptext
>
> hm, i get a pdf file with
>
> čšž čšž
>
> so what happens at your end?

Did you try to run that with MKII? MKIV works fine (I know that the
title was a bit misleading). I get the characters from font that are
equal to the second byte of UTF-8 representation of input character.

>> 5.)
> weird indeed, must be something basis as
> $$111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111\normalreqno{!!}$$
>
> also has it .. taco just confirmed that it must be something in luatex
> itself

Thanks. I'm sorry that I didn't simplify that one (I just took a
random equation out of a document since it looked nicer).

>> 6.) I know that \NR is not the most appropriate way to go into next
>> row, but the following gives considerably different results in MKII
>> and MKIV:
>>
>> \starttable[|l|]
>> \NC \type{a} \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{a} \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{a} \NC\NR
>> \stoptable
>
> probably because \type has no strut in mkiv ... maybe it should have

I don't know.

>> 9.) Note the big difference of when the formula starts vertically on page:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startformula
>> a+b
>> \stopformula
>> \stoptext
>
> interesting, i need to look into that

Thanks :)

>> 11.) Missing bibliography entries:
>>
>> \usemodule[bib]
>> % this line spoils the show
>> \setuppublications[alternative=num]
>>
>> \setuppublicationlayout[webpage]{%
>>        \inserttitle{\bgroup\it }{\egroup. }{}%
>>        \inserturl{}{}{}%
>> }
>>
>> \startpublication
>>        [k=FAIR,t=webpage,u=http://www.gsi.de/fair/]
>>        \biburl{http://www.gsi.de/fair/}
>>        \title{FAIR -- Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research}
>> \stoppublication
>>
>> \starttext
>> \cite[FAIR]\par
>> \placepublications
>> \stoptext
>
> magic to me, but we can look into bib mess stuff later

What can I do?

>> 3.) Bibliography citations give different result with the same setup
>> (different numbers and different spacing in \placepublication - might
>> be also worth testing with grid typesetting as I wasn't able to set up
>> the alignment properly in MKII last time when I have tried). I'm not
>> sure which one is right, but there's probably no reason to produce
>> different results.
>>
>> \usemodule
>>        [bib]
>> \setuppublications
>>        [alternative=num,
>>         criterium=all,
>>         sorttype=cite]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startpublication[k=a,t=article]\arttitle{a}\stoppublication
>> \startpublication[k=b,t=article]\arttitle{b}\stoppublication
>> \startpublication[k=c,t=article]\arttitle{c}\stoppublication
>>
>> x\cite[a,b,c]
>>
>> \placepublications
>> \stoptext
>
> as i never used citations i don't know what you expect ... best ask Thomas
> what you should expect ... anyway, i'll make a template for the xml approach

Does anyone else have an idea of whether \cite[a,b,c] should generate
[1,2,3] or [1-3]? I have an article at hand that has "[1], [2], [3]"
instead to be honest. I'm not sure, but [1-3] somehow doesn't appear
right to me. I have a feeling that each bib item needs to be cited
separately, but I may be wrong.

Mojca