On 13-5-2010 3:42, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

\startyoumayignorethis
The only thing that really bothers me are so much different vertical
differences which show up in almost every document I ever write. MKIV
consistently takes more vertical space, so no matter what document I
try to recompile, it always ends up with more pages (and some weird
page breaks) when processing it with MKIV.

\startcantresistmode

the lineheight relates to the ex height and as in mkiv we don't have the tfm limitations (those 16 values of ht dp) we have slightly different spacing

\stopcantresistmode

Yes, I know. The two are incompatible. Yes, I know. Different fonts
are being used. Yes, I know. Different algorithms/aproaches to break
pages. But it would be soooooo nice if the most basic documents with
LM fonts could turn out at least approximately the same. Horizontal
breaking works perfectly (it's identical). It's only vertical spacing
that's a tiny bit "problematic" and makes every recompiled document a
bit messy.

\startchallengingmode

well, you can try to figure out what 2.8ex in mkii and mkiv is and then have your own defaults for mkiv

\stopchallengingmode

It might be nice to look a bit closer to the topic, like in the
example that I pointed out. There are some weirdnesses left, like the
equations that starts at least a line lower in MKIV when there's no
real reason for such a behaviour.

\startexplanation
TeX tries hard to inject a baselineskip and also an empty hlist so that one always gets that line. In MkII I compensated for that hard to beat automatism. In MkIV this does not happen. We figured out that when we add a \noindent before $$ that we don't get this side effect so that now happens in the latest beta.
\stopexplanation

\stopyoumayignorethis

Thanks a lot. (Just wandering - should stopper be a synonym for
numberstopper in MKIV then or is stopper also used somewhere else?)

the more synonyme the more documentation

Did you try to run that with MKII? MKIV works fine (I know that the
title was a bit misleading). I get the characters from font that are
equal to the second byte of UTF-8 representation of input character.

you probably need to enable utf8 in the mp environment then

Thanks. I'm sorry that I didn't simplify that one (I just took a
random equation out of a document since it looked nicer).

random thesis ... interesting

9.) Note the big difference of when the formula starts vertically on page:

\starttext
\startformula
a+b
\stopformula
\stoptext

interesting, i need to look into that

Thanks :)

same problem as previous

What can I do?

make a complete test as small as possible

Does anyone else have an idea of whether \cite[a,b,c] should generate
[1,2,3] or [1-3]? I have an article at hand that has "[1], [2], [3]"
instead to be honest. I'm not sure, but [1-3] somehow doesn't appear
right to me. I have a feeling that each bib item needs to be cited
separately, but I may be wrong.

collapsing has always been there afaik