On 2016-03-22 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 3/21/2016 8:14 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > when paragraphs are separated by indenting the first line (instead of
> an
> > empty line), these rules should be followed:
> >
> > (1) the last line lenght is greater than the left indent
> >      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >      xxxx
> >        xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > (2) the last line is shorter than block width
> >      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >      xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >        xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> you need to keep in mind that what would work out well for one specific
> case will not look nice in general as the last line filling is just one
> of the aspects ... so, your last line + following first line might look
> okay (according to whatever rules and criteria) but then, as you also
> need to increase the tolerance and enable stretch to permit that
> solution to be found, the rest might look like crap

I (naively) thought the last line can be somehow isolated in the engine so the
parfillskip settings doesn't influence the rest (too much).

I understand your point.

> > (ad 2) This can be done using \parfillskip XXpt plus 1fil (where
> > XX is required gap)
>
> setting the XXpt is tricky as it might lead to underful or overful
> cases when that amount start interfering with an optimal solution (as it's
> seen as acceptable overflow in some direction)

underful or overful where? in previous lines? I am quite lost here :-)

> it's hard to envision an interface, maybe some extra key in setupalign
>
> \setupindenting[big] \indenting[yes]
>
> \edef\ward{\cldloadfile{ward}}
>
> \setupalign[verytolerant,stretch]
>
> \dorecurse{100}{
>      \hsize\dimexpr\textwidth-#1mm\relax
>      \parfillskip \zeropoint plus 1fil\relax
>      \ward  \par
>      \parfillskip \zeropoint plus \dimexpr\availablehsize-
> 3\parindent\relax
>      \ward  \par
>      \startnarrower[left]
>          \parfillskip \zeropoint plus 1fil\relax
>          \ward \par
>      \stopnarrower
>      \startnarrower[left]
>          \parfillskip \zeropoint plus
> \dimexpr\availablehsize-3\parindent\relax
>          \ward \par
>      \stopnarrower
>      \page
> }

Wow, this is cool visualization!

When \zeropoint is replaced by e.g. 2em, I have what wanted originally.

Could anybody explain drawbacks of such approach? I mean especially that
overful magic above. I'd like to summarize this topic on Wiki.

Jan