On 8/27/2017 11:26 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
Am 27.08.2017 um 21:49 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez:
On 08/27/2017 08:23 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
Am 27.08.2017 um 19:24 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez:
[...]
Since we have ICC profiles in the ConTeXt Garden
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDFX#ICC_profiles,
http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/iccprofiles/complete_ICC_profiles.zip),
I wonder why they aren’t part of the ConTeXt Suite.

Because they are hardly used (simply judging from feedback). Not enough
to justify a file size increase of 26.2 MByte.

Hi Peter,

how about limiting the number of profiles to the basic ones? Or how
about an option in first-setup.sh named --icc-profiles?

Different locations need different profiles. That's why there are also
the region related archives (Europe, India, Japan and USA).
You can't divide it any further than that.

We had it but it (a new var) was not accepted in tex live so we dropped it and context can find the files anyway.

In theory you can use the environment variable $OSCOLORDIR, but it was
dropped years ago. There were no complains or error reports about that,
so no changes were made.

Either I don’t get your point, or $OSCOLORDIR won’t work in practice.

Exactly, it doesn't work. It's still mentioned in the partly outdated
information on the garden, but there is no 'OSCOLORDIR' string anywhere
in the context tree.

And context would fallback on whatever location anyway.

Would still be the cleanest solution though. Copy the icc files once in
the corresponding directory of your OS (so that all apps can make use of
them), set the environment variable manually, and done.

I would have to do that with thirty computers. And probably I would have
to ask for permissions to copy the profiles (and set system-wide
environment variables). When a computer would have a full OS reinstall
(something far beyond my control), I would have to do that again for
that computer.

As far as I maintain ConTeXt in a common server and we use it for very
specific tasks, we only have the ConTeXt Suite installed once.

Sorry, but this isn’t practical for me (we’d only use the profiles with
ConTeXt).

I see. Still no love for 'OSCOLORDIR'. R.I.P. :D
Many thanks for your help,

No problem, you are welcome. Looks to me like you are solving the
problem by yourself. I guess a module is a good idea.
FWIW, in colorprofiles.xml one can find the places where one can find the files. We could of course put copies in the garden someplace.