On Fri, 10 Sept 2021 at 21:47, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

[ munch ]

> in this area there is nothing in luametatex that luatex can't do

As in my earlier reply, I'm thinking about replacing Adobe Illustrator with
Metapost, and LuaMetaTEX seems to have better integration?

> so, if your source uses a limited set of commands you can write a parser
> (in any language)

This parser would need to understand TeX source files and conventions
such as % for comments, recognise commands starting with \ and with
arguments/parameters bracketed by [] and {}, and look up command names
that might be written in Lua, then call them.

Isn't that what LuaMetaTEX does? No, I haven't looked at the actual source
code yet, but starting with something that already does most of what you
want is always quicker than writing from scratch.

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher