Collating several suggestions into one:

On Sat, 11 Sept 2021 at 01:34, <denis.ma...@unibe.ch> wrote:
> You may want to have a look at the lwarp package as an alternative to tex4ht.

Thanks T. Kurt Bond and Denis Maier for the suggestions. A better alternative
to tex4ht / tex4ebook would certainly be much easier for me, even if I'm still
somewhat offended by the intermediate steps.

As for xml or pandoc, I'd rather not because I want to keep print (PDF) as the
primary output, and I don't want to lose what TeX/LaTeX can do that most
markup languages can't.

From what I know of pandoc, it is like Sphinx in that the way it generates PDF
output is by translating pandoc into LaTeX/TeX, then running TeX! So instead
of my current toolchain where I write the LaTeX I want directly, I'd
be examining
the pandoc output and if it isn't what I want, poking at pandoc in the hope of
making things better.

It may be unfair, but my impression is that TeX and typesetting / layout systems
based on TeX can do more interesting things than say XML or Sphinx. Moving
to a more "universal" markup format might broaden my options, but I don't
want a lowest common denominator solution.

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher