On 9/11/2021 1:49 PM, Hugh Fisher via ntg-context wrote:

It may be unfair, but my impression is that TeX and typesetting / layout systems
based on TeX can do more interesting things than say XML or Sphinx. Moving
to a more "universal" markup format might broaden my options, but I don't
want a lowest common denominator solution.
As soon as documents become more complex and one wants control over th elayout all these alternative-to-tex formats in the end are not better than structured tex input. The simpler the input tagging, the more complex the escaping from that. So in the end it all depends on what kind of documents one has to deal with. And it's all about abstraction and structure: the more, the easier.