From: Jim Underwood [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 3:57 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Guidelines for W2K Pro PageFile Size

I'm looking for guidelines/recommendations for setting the pagefile size on a W2K Pro SP2 machine.

My guideline for NT used to be to set both MIN and MAX = (2 * PhysicalRAM) + 16

I just bought 512MB SDRAM (only $80!!! for 2 Kingston 256M ECC sticks) , so this works out to be quite a good size pagefile:  1040

Interestingly enough, the W2K default setting is 768 - 1536.

So, for W2K is it still best to set MIN and MAX to the same value?
Is there a formula that's best to use?
Or is it best to let W2K set it's own values?

I know about setting the location of the pagefile:
    -- Only one PF per physical disk
    -- Create separate PFs on separate physical disks
    -- Best on non-RAID or RAID 1
    -- Avoid putting on RAID 5

Best Regards,
JMU