Before you implement anything Exchange, I think it is in your best
interest, (as in that of your company, users, and IT staff) to look into
alternative E-mail platforms.  My first suggestion would be Lotus Domino.
Their server software is more stable, easier to administer, and MORE SECURE
than any of the competetion I have seen.  Also, the functionality of the
client software is far superior to anything e-mail coming out of Redmond,
WA.  If your server that you mentioned is now idle and will be performing
ONLY email functionality, that is perfect for 100 users, and I would bet
you could squeeze in another 100.  My suggestion for hard-disk space is a
mirrored system volume (2 disks).  For the data, I would suggest allocation
100 meg for each user.  Disk space is cheap, eat it up.  Running 4 10 gig
drives RAID5 would be a beautiful thing.  Buy 2 extra, just in case.  I
would also recommend, if you want to upgrade desktops, to go with Windows
2000.  Upgrading, loading, installing, whatever you want to call it, WinXP
could turn out to be a nightmare.   Especially with Microsoft's new Product
Activation "feature".  In a business environment, there is no reason, as
far as I have seen, to put WinXP on the desktop.  Windows 2000 has proven
itself to me to be an adequate choice for end use.
I must stress again the importance of exploring your options.  Just because
your OS says Microsoft on it doesn't mean your Backend product has to.

Nathan W.

Jim Mediger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09/07/2001 09:03:02 AM

Please respond to "NT System Admin Issues"
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>