Inline

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Mediger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 6:03 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2000

We are looking at implementing Exchange 2000 and I have a few questions, and
wanted advice from people who have  had real world experience. We are
currently
running NT 4.0 Svr and Wkstn. I have setup a Windows 2000 Domain (still in
testing phase). We have about 100 users.

My Questions:

1. I have a PII with 2 300mhz processors and 384mb ram. Will this be ample
enough to handle Exchange 2000 and future growth? How much Hard Drive space
would you recomend?

multiply the number of users you want Exchange 2k to support times the max
mailbox size per user and multiply that by 2.2 and put the database on a
hardware Raid5 array.
put the logs on a HW mirror and the OS and Exchange on another HW mirror.

2. We plan on Going from NT 4.0 to Windows XP. Can we connect to Exchange
2000
with the NT 4.0 Clients during the interim? Any issues I should be aware of?
Any
issues with WXP?

Nope.

3. We have 50-60 users on Outlook 2002 with internet access etc., and 40-50
users on other clients (internal e-mail and intranet only). Does Exchange
play
well with other e-mail clients?

Yes, ldap, smtp, pop, imap, mapi, whatever.

4. Any other Gottcha's, Do's, Don'ts? All advice will be greatly
appreciated.

Get Windows 2k AD and DNS solid before doing Exchange 2k.

Thanks,

Jim