Carl,

No, I don't subscribe to any kind of conspiracy theory of US foreign policy.
Please, read what I said again. Indeed, your very first sentence supports my
thesis. US government policy fluctuates. If it evolved according to some
kind of coherent plan, this would be OK, but it fluctuates randomly, and
with perverse consequences.

I said that US foreign policy has been chaotic, perverse and inexplicable.
These are not traits of a conspiracy. Traits of a confused and
self-contradictory mass of government bureaucracy, almost certainly.

Not meaning to be too harsh, but you are on better drugs than I have access
to if you believe that our government gives us the straight scoop. Again,
this is not a result of any conspiracy, it is simply the end result of many
bureaucrats working in contradictory self interest, many of whom don't trust
the American public with the truth, some of whom don't believe that people
outside of America are deserving of the degree of freedom, and some of whom
prize national security over freedom. I'll just remind you to look up what
Benjamin Franklin said about that mindset.

If the US is to be the world's policeman, then yes, we must work towards
freedom. However, frequently, and as a matter of policy in many instances,
the US government has not done that. How else can you characterize pamphlets
published by the US Army that detail how to conduct field-expedient
tortures, and which are distributed to government death squads? How else can
you characterize our overlooking the use of torture by so many of our client
states. The goal of freedom can only be realized when we use the tools of
freedom, and the US government has not been consistent in doing that.

Please don't misunderstand me. America is still the most free country, and
the best. And American foreign policy has not been consistently wrong. But
far too often is has been wrong, and the attack today is a reflection of
that. The attack is heinous, and must be punished. But I think we should be
prepared for more, for a long time to come.