From: Benjamin Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 4:44 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: WAKE UP!!!!

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Lefkovics, William wrote:
>>  - Forbid un-ticketed people beyond the security gate.
>
> I agree.  Domestic as well as international?

  Of course.  Witness Tuesday's events.

>> - Forbid allow any weapons or sharp objects in the passenger
>> compartment.
>
> No CD's? (break 'em)

  Granted that weapons can always be improvised.  Failing anything else, a
fist makes a passable weapon against even a knife.  However, I still think
banning any weapon or cutting implement has some advantages.  First, I don't
think we should make it any easier for the bad guys.  Second, there is a
physiological impact when someone holds up something designed to cut.  A man
with a knife is a terrorist.  A man with a broken CD is a crazy person.

> How am I supposed to cut that thing that passes for chicken dinner?

  I dunno about you, but I have never been able to cut it with those plastic
objects that pass for knifes, so nothing lost there.  ;-)

>>  - Require people entering service areas to show photo ID.
> I got a guy in Phoenix that makes the best!

  Defense in depth.

  Every additional hurdle is one more place they might get caught.

>>  - Patrol service areas with armed police.
>
> Did my ticket price just jump from $250 to $350?

  No, it jumped to 10,000 innocent people dead.  :-(

  If $100 per ticket is all it costs to prevent this from happening again, I
will gladly pay it.

>>  - Deploy a program of armed and uniformed police aboard every flight.
>
> Did they used to have Marshals?

  Yes.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>