On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Crawford, Scott <crawfo...@evangel.edu> wrote:
> There’s a quite dated, yet relevant, article at sysopt about some of my
> findings at http://www.sysopt.com/tutorials/article.php/3532756.

  Scott: That entire analysis is based on the scenario where you have
an NTLM password hash sniffed from the wire, and are using a
ten-year-old version of L0phtCrack.  That's a very narrow focus, and
one which isn't even very relevant in today's world (even if you're on
a Windows LAN and can sniff traffic, NTLM is becoming increasingly
rare, so you've got nothing to sniff).

  That analysis is completely irrelevant for the majority of scenarios
of interest, such as public-facing web sites, or any scenario where
someone is trying to attack a password without having an NTLM hash.

  This isn't the first time you've posted that analysis while failing
to appreciate that it's almost completely irrelevant today.  I think
you're suffering from hammer myopia on this issue.  "When all you have
is hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

-- Ben