The reality is that most IT environments are all using one of the 2-4 popular
AV products. One of the 5-6 popular network firewalls. This makes it so that
the ease at which an attacker can setup a test lab to mimic the average
business and ensure their attack will be successful is a very easy thing.

In order to be successful in today's IT security environment you need to
customize security to your specific environment. If you spend even a reasonable
amount of time customizing your security at the OS and network level you can
prevent the vast majority of attacks. This is not opinion but fact.

Problem is that most people in IT have not been given the time or education by
management to be able to do this successfully so alas everyone just installs a
product and hopes it works. Likewise the attacker installs the product, makes
sure their exploit works, and does not abide by hope.

Now of course you could have the time and knowledge and not a product that
allows for customization. But that is a different thing all together.

-Marc

Signed,
Marc Maiffret
Founder/CTO