From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 October 2011 05:36
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: AV and malware protection?

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 21:01, Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Now,
> I regard ActiveX as a really bad idea to begin with -- allowing a web
> page to push binary executables to my PC is *not* a good idea, IMO,

Java, too.

> and I think history would support me on this one -- but if you're
> going to allow it, you need something a bit better than just requiring
> a bit of crypto thrown at it.  More reasonable would be denying
> install to anything but Trusted Sites.  If the user can't type the
> site name that's a fair bet they shouldn't be installing it, one way
> or the other.  There are a number of other things, too, such as the
> ability to run an EXE from the web in two clicks, or allowing scripts
> to manipulate the browser window (Firefox does that too, I might add).

Allowing anything running in a browser to write to disk or touch other running
programs or other hardware is poor design, IMHO.

But I'm a paranoid freak, and don't like computers, so what do I know...

Kurt

WARNING:
The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be
legally privileged.

If you are not the named addressee, you must not use, copy or disclose this
email (including any attachments) or the information in it save to the named
addressee nor take any action in reliance on it. If you receive this email or
any attachments in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete
the same and any copies.

"CLS Services Ltd × Registered in England No 4132704 × Registered Office:
Exchange Tower × One Harbour Exchange Square × London E14 9GE"