Random factoid, anyone see that there was a vulnerability patched today that
ONLY affected IE9? And it is reliable code execution. We are discussing it on
eEye's VEF tomorrow, its pretty silly awesome. -Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 9:02 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: AV and malware protection?

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Alan Davies <adav...@cls-services.com> wrote:
> Why on earth would you encourage users not to use IE!?  Again, FUD
> mostly - IE is one of, if not the most secure browser out there out of the
> box.

  While I haven't seen MSIE 9 yet, I know MSIE 8 still had what I would
consider woefully insecure defaults with regards to it's "Security tab"
settings, especially regarding ActiveX controls.  Now, I regard ActiveX as a
really bad idea to begin with -- allowing a web page to push binary executables
to my PC is *not* a good idea, IMO, and I think history would support me on
this one -- but if you're going to allow it, you need something a bit better
than just requiring a bit of crypto thrown at it.  More reasonable would be
denying install to anything but Trusted Sites.  If the user can't type the site
name that's a fair bet they shouldn't be installing it, one way or the other.
There are a number of other things, too, such as the ability to run an EXE from
the web in two clicks, or allowing scripts to manipulate the browser window
(Firefox does that too, I might add).

  Currently, a lot of it is academic, since the popular vectors today are Flash
and Acrobat, but if Adobe ever gets their act together I expect we'll see
renewed interest in browser security design.

> Firefox not so great.

  Speaking of FUD, care to explain that?

-- Ben