I've held one job in my entire career based on someone I knew...  All others
have been via the three things you mention below using a 2-3 page resume...

Recruiters can and will look out for your interests if you have perceived
value (the more experience you have, the more you're worth, the more they
get paid to place you) though I have only used them twice.  However, that's
not to say I haven't hired based on networking because I have numerous
times.

There is no science...  It's all about catching ones attention with the
resume and getting that first interview and selling yourself...  And a 1
pager with 15 years experience...  All that will do is make me ask myself
what you are hiding...