On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM, John Cook <john.c...@pfsf.org> wrote:
> Don't forget the Sybari acquisition that turned into Forefront.

  If we're going to go down that road...

  MS-DOS was purchased from Seattle Computer Products.

  Win NT was so much like VMS that DEC sued MSFT; they settled out-of-court.

  IE was originally based on Spyglass Mosaic.

  MS-SQL was originally based on Sybase's database server product.

  I seem to recall reading that many of the bits that became Exchange
were purchased from 3Com.  My memory might be wrong on that, tho.

 Microsoft Bob, however, was developed entirely in-house.  ;-)

-- Ben