On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com> wrote:
>> Google absorbs an app ... discontinues the original absorbed app.
>
> Yeah, well, Microsoft has certainly done this.

  It's an effective business strategy.  Although it tends to piss
people off, so doing it a lot may cost an org more in goodwill than
they really should be spending.  (Problem there is, goodwill usually
doesn't show up in the PHB's spreadsheet.)

> Except for Hyper-V and Virtual PC/Server (maybe those too, but I’m not aware
> of it) Microsoft bought up all the companies that produced its
> virtualization technologies and the originals are history.

 IIRC, the Virtual PC product was bought from a third-party who,
ironically, had previously been more well-known on the Mac platform.
Hyper-V, I dunno.

-- Ben