From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 8:33 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: OT - ugh!

No, you don't need a degree to start a billion dollar company, but you do need
brains and a lot of hard work.  Of course if it's something you love, it's not
work at all it's a passion, and folks that are passionate about what they do
are what you're looking for. We're better than our less passionate IT workers
simply because we ENJOY the work, learning new ways to do things, learning how
the mechanics of something works, and seeking out others who have the same
passion. I feel I'm better at Windows administration than my fellow SE's simply
because my passion for it is far higher.

"Sneaking Out to Write Code: You already know how Microsoft was founded. Bill
Gates and Paul Allen dropped out of college to form the company in 1975. It's
that simple: Drop out of college, start a company, and become a billionaire,
right? Wrong.

Further study reveals that Gates and Allen had thousands of hours of
programming practice prior to founding Microsoft. First, the two co-founders
met at Lakeside, an elite private school in the Seattle area. The school raised
three thousand dollars to purchase a computer terminal for the school's
computer club in 1968.

A computer terminal at a university was rare in 1968. Gates had access to a
terminal in eighth grade. Gates and Allen quickly became addicted to
programming.

The Gates family lived near the University of Washington. As a teenager, Gates
fed his programming addiction by sneaking out of his parents' home after
bedtime to use the University's computer. Gates & Allen acquired their10,000
hours through this and other clever teenage schemes. When the time came to
launch Microsoft in 1975, the two were ready."

http://www.wisdomgroup.com/report/10000_hours_of_practice/

And another recommended read:
http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/12/a_fast_track_to_10000_hours_of.html

Dave.