They do have to traverse your network in a manageable way, anyway...
up until the point that some wiseacre fires up a VPN or a
tunnel/proxy, it's not so hard to grab port 53 traffic on its way out
and quietly redirect it.

However, the problem itself is extremely difficult to solve
thoroughly.  How can one possibly stay on top of the IPs that SSL is
or isn't "safe" to, given that you cannot do any other meaningful
inspection of the data (not even the hostname in the HTTPS request)?
I know there are products that attempt to solve it without seriously
impairing the network, but I can't imagine they're robust against a
clever | determined kiddo.

--Steve