On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM, John Hornbuckle
<john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us> wrote:
> Yeah, I tried that. Cleared the cache, restarted the DNS server service,
> even rebooted the whole machine.

  Hmmm, that's interesting.  A reboot *should* clear most possible
causes discussed so far, at least briefly.

  My next guess would be a firewall interacting badly with EDNS or
something like that, but you say another DNS server you run doesn't
have this trouble.  Are they both on the same IP subnet?  Same
broadcast domain?  Same switch?  Behind the same firewall?

  Compare versions/sizes of DNS.EXE on the working server and the
non-working server.  Maybe an update failed or something like that.

  Using DIG, running on the problem server, run a delegation trace for
the problem domain.  For example:

        dig +trace www.studyisland.com.

This will cause DIG to perform an iterative query internally.  That
is, DIG will query the root servers directly, and then chase the
referrals in the replies until it gets an answer.  In other words, DIG
will do what your DNS server should be doing.  If DIG fails, you can
see where and why.  If it succeeds, you know it's possible to do a
good lookup from the problem server.

  Maybe do the same thing on the working server.  See if they follow
different paths.

-- Ben