I think you can do either or, I would setup NLB. I think that supports 4
servers. Bear in mind that NLB can bounce between sites so if your holding
cookie/session type data you will need to hold that in case they bounce
around servers.

If you have www.domain.com and then www.domain.com/site then as already
mentioned ssl may/may not be an issue. Also, in iis the /site could be a
virtual directory, or just a directory. Whereas a subsite.domain.com would
have to be its own site within iis I believe. This offers flexibility such
as which .dll's or scripts can run on the different sites, but if they are
generally the same then it would seem like more management to keep making
new sites and then having to go in and allow the same scripts/dlls/exe's to
run the site have to be manually added.

You could always make www.domain.com/site
<http://www.domain.com/site%20point%20to%20subsite.domain.com>  point to
subsite.domain.com so maybe that would be better to start off and you could
always change it.