From: Ben Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 4:10 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Gig ports - copper or fiber?

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Joe Heaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there any real difference, if I use a copper RJ-45 port, or a fiber
port ...

  Well, one's fiber, one's copper.  That's a pretty real difference.
The cables for one don't fit in the ports for another, for example.
;-)

  Fiber can go longer distances, and isn't susceptible to EM/RF
interference.  Copper cables are more durable than fiber -- if you kink
a fiber cable, it will often snap, and a spec of dust can ruin your day.
Fiber costs more.

> if both are set to 1000T?

  The "T" in "1000BASE-T" stands for "twisted pair".  So setting a fiber
port to "1000T" is nonsensical.  I suspect you're looking at an option
that only applies to copper ports.

-- Ben