On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Tom Strader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ... application server ... handhelds must have a
> static IP on the same subnet as the application server.

  Call the application vendor and tell them to fix their crappy
software or you'll switch to the competition.

> Any assistance would be appreciated. I was thinking it could be done using
> CIDR maybe??

  CIDR alone won't help you, as the application server will think
everyone on the CIDR subnet is on the local broadcast domain, and try
to ARP for them, rather than sending packets to the gateway.  You
might be able to do something with static host routes.  On the server,
you'd have to add a host route to each handheld, with the gateway
being the VPN gateway/router.  Not sure this would work.  It makes my
head hurt.

  It might be possible to use static one-to-one NAT between sites, and
I think that would be better if so.  For example: Make the main site
10.1.1.0/24.  Make the remote site 10.2.2.0/24.  Route and VPN between
them as normal.  Put the handhelds at the remote site on 10.2.2.32/28.
 Have the intermediate gateways translate 10.2.2.32/28 to 10.1.1.32/28
and back again.  Also have the gateway for the main site do proxy ARP
for the handhelds at the remote.  This won't work if the IP payload
embeds the handheld IP address, but a lot of applications just grab it
from the IP headers.

-- Ben