On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Tom Strader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Our CEO is quite smart when it comes to technology however, he has
>  stated to my upper managers he does not like to be controlled or
>  protected to the point he cannot override the system.

  Have you tried actually working it out with him?  In particular:
Point out that the entire IT staff operates under the same exact set
of restrictions on a day-to-day basis[1].  I find that mollifies a lot
people, when they realize they're not being left out of some exclusive
club.   Also explain how this is not a matter of trust in him, but
rather, protecting him from all the malicious software in the world.
If the regular user account can't be used to modify the system, that
means malware can't use it to modify the system, either.

[1] If that's *not* how your IT department works, then your bad.  I
always make sure I eat my own dogfood.

  One analogy I've used is that this stuff is like the hand guards on
a piece of machinery.  It's not like anyone would deliberately stick
their hand into the spinning gears.  We put safety measures in place
to help protect against human mistakes -- not because we don't trust
our people.

  One thing I've also done is to use tools like RUNAS and sudowin and
fine-grained permissions to give users the ability to do all sorts of
things, but without running as admin all the time.  That keeps the
protections in place, and encourages them to think before acting, too.
 Even if you need to create a separate local admin account just for
them, that still goes a long way.

-- Ben